Unstable Unicorns has just celebrated its 5th anniversary for the original Kickstarter release! Over the last 5 years, there have been hundreds if not thousands of production runs of all different releases of Unstable Unicorns from many different publishing companies that have been used over that time. This has produced different darker shades of authentic card backs on both base boxes and expansion set cards.
- January 2018 - Unstable Unicorns is now published by Breaking Games™ an AD MAGIC™ company. This change in publisher has given the card back a lighter appearance and a larger black border than the previous releases. All previous releases are now out of print.
- December 2020 - With the release of the 2nd Edition Expansions(2E), the card backs may appear to be a different shade than previous releases. This change in color is due to the use of CMYK color printing. The color difference is due to inconsistencies with the nature of CMYK ink. Work is still in progress on minimizing color inconsistencies in future printing of Unstable Unicorns 2nd Edition.
A LIGHTER OR DARKER CARD BACK IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF A COUNTERFEIT
Counterfeit 2017 Kickstarter Exclusive Card Sets have been on the market since release, these cards are slightly smaller than authentic versions. *KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVES will not be released to retail (ever.)
The authentic The Horniest Unicorn card has a white "notch" to the left of the unicorn horn in the "blue" magical unicorn icon. (as shown in the picture)
The authentic of the Uncut expansion includes a Baby Unicorn (Snake) card that has two printed eyes.
The authentic of the Kickstarter Dragons expansion includes a Dragon's Breath card that has the correct card name.
Counterfeit 2017 Kickstarter black metallic ink box have been on the market since release, from the outside they appear to be the authentic product. Authentic Boxes are more prone to being scratched due to the glossy appearance.
The authentic product does not have a foil glossy interior box, as shown. The authentic product does not have a rainbow print box lid, as shown. (The Black metallic ink box will never photograph like a rainbow, only tones of gold, silver or white.
The Authentic box has "UNSTABLE UNICORNS" on the front of the box.
The counterfeit box is missing the "UNSTABLE" from the box. There is a printing error on the card Hoof Job.
The text reads: "Choose any player and look at that player's and. Choose a card from that player's hand and add it to your hand."
The letter "h" is missing from the word "hand".
The official expansions do NOT have the capitalization error;
Made in CHina
on the back of the box.
"Bundled box sales" found on the internet
How to identify counterfeit sales;
1. The price will be ridiculously below a retail price. Even if a sale says that its "discounted" or "on sale".
2. The Black box, "uncut" NSFW box, and promo card set were only released during the 2017 Kickstarter campaign which had 33,720 backers, it can be assumed that there could be 60 or 70 thousand (maybe 100k) authentic copies of each in the whole world. No legitimate sale could have stock items in the hundreds or thousands of units.
3. Photos are obviously not real or are "stock" photos from legitimate sources.
4. Seller will not provide any "proof of purchase" or proof of authenticity - Ask a seller for the measurements of the base boxes.
5. A lot of sales will have hidden comments that state they are counterfeit to try and legitimize the authenticity of the sale.
Here To Slay Base Game
Fake version purchased from Amazon
Counterfeit Box Info
- Dimensions: 10.8cm x 14cm x 4.35cm
- DoM: 5/20 Lot #: GPI-4693-0520
- Made in China by GPI
TM and © 2020 Unstable Unicorns
Richmond Heights, MO 63117
No trademark notice.
- Dark Artwork on the Box & Cards
- Unstable Unicorns logo at top left corner