UU Game Terminology - Masquerade
There are 5 cards defined as "Masquerade" cards;
The simple explanation when one or more of these cards are in a stable;
1. You cannot win the game with the card in stable (unless dragons blessing is in stable too).
Ask yourself "Is the card in your stable?" If the answer is Yes = you cannot win
- Unless dragon's blessing is in stable too.
2. No player can do anything to a unicorn card that's in that stable. (Nothing at all!).
Ask yourself "would this card or effect do something, anything to a unicorn card in that stable?" If the answer is yes, you can't do it.
- If a card a player wants to play from hand with a requirement that would affect any unicorn card in that stable to fulfill that requirement, they are prevented from playing it.
- If an effect from a card in a stable it cannot affect any unicorn card in that stable, even from itself.
This is valid for all versions, no text changes alter the card effect.
ADVANCED explanation when one or more of these cards are in a stable;
These cards gives Continuous Immunity to Unicorn Cards in the stable. Unicorn cards cannot be affected by anything. They are immune to both direct and indirect effects. No effect that would affect a unicorn card can target a unicorn card.
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. If a targeted effect on a unicorn card is required to play a card the player is unable to play that card. Such as Unicorns of the Apocalypse or a Seven Sacker
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. Any unicorn card in your stable cannot be chosen for a sacrifice, destroy, steal (move), return, remove, or replace effect.
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. If a card a player wants to play from hand with a requirement that would affect any unicorn card in that stable to fulfill that requirement you are prevented from playing it.
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. A STOLEN unicorn card will not return to original stable, from a return effect.
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. If an effect of a card in a stable would require a sacrifice, a unicorn card is not a legitimate card that can be sacrificed. Such as Glitter Bomb.
- The Unicorn cards have immunity. Unicorn cards cannot affect themselves. Angel Unicorn has a card effect that would be affecting a unicorn card.
- The win condition requires "unicorns", you do not have any to count. Unless Dragon's Blessing is in the stable also.
- These cards have no requirement effect text that prevents playing the card.
- When a masquerade card is in a stable, it has no card effect that removes unicorn card effects.
- DO MY UNICORN CARD EFFECTS STILL WORK IF A MASQUERADE CARD IS IN MY STABLE? Yes, their effects remain the same. Masquerade cards have no text to change or remove card effects.
- When a masquerade card is in a stable, it has no card effect that prevents replacement effects.
- The immunity granted from a Masquerade card does not extend to unicorn card effects. The effect created from a unicorn card in the stable on another player's cards can still be replaced by other card effects instead.
- When a unicorn card enters a stable. The Unicorn card is considered a unicorn, when they enter a stable they become a panda, cat, otter, shit, or reindeer and also trigger any other continuous effects that may also be in that stable. Such as Barbed Wire.
- Unicorn Cards are only considered to be "something" (Unicorn, Panda etc) when that unicorn card is in a stable.When in a player's hand they are only unicorn cards. They do not have immunity from discard effects.
- If a Masqerade card leaves a stable unicorn cards revert from being considered something back to being considered unicorns. No unicorn card effects will trigger at that time.
- When multiple masquerade cards are in the same stable they do not protect against each other. Panda Cat Deer Shits Otters do not cancel each other. You are just very unlucky and have to clear all of them.
- This card has no effect text that changes a card's type. Example; A Basic Unicorn card will always be a Basic Unicorn card.
- Blinding Effect and Masquerade Effect are both mandatory continuous effects.
- Blinding Effect and Masquerade Effect are both simultaneous effects.(Simultanous, conflicting effects.)
- Blinding Effect has effect priority over Masquerade Effect. (Refer Statement section "C".)
- When a unicorn card enters a stable
- Blinding Effect which has priority negates the unicorn card effect text and is considered a "basic unicorn" (instead of unicorn).
- Masquerade Effect then gives immunity to the now "basic unicorn" it is now considered a "Panda", "cat", "otter", "shit", or reindeer" with its card effect. (It is now protected from the Blinding Effect).
- The unicorn card has already entered the stable with negated card effect text so it will not trigger any enter effect. (The card did not enter with any effect text.)
- The unicorn card leaving a stable will trigger any leave effect as the card is protected by from the Blinding Effect. (The card left the stable with its effect text.)
Altered Gameplay concepts
When in a stable, Masquerade cards alter standard gameplay concepts as listed below.
- The player is prevented from winning. The win condition requires "unicorns", you do not have any to count. (Unless Dragon's Blessing is in the stable also.)
- When a masquerade card is in a stable it causes the intangible "unicorn" concept to become a physical component. This causes Pandas, cats, otters, shits, and reindeer to have an immunity effect rather than the physical card in the stable and this immunity is extended to the card.
- Defined as:Flyers
- Defined as:Masquerade
- Defined as:Neigh
- Defined as:Seven Sacker
- Game: Deck
- Game: Discard Pile
- Game: Impossible Actions
- Game: Immunity
- Game: Instant Pile
- Game: Nursery
- Game: Target(s) (card or player)
- Game: Win Condition
- Choose (a card)
- Destroy (a card)
- Discard (a card)
- Draw (a card)
- Play (a card)
- Pull (a card)
- Remove (a card from game)
- Replace (a card)
- Return (a card)
- Sacrifice (a card)
- Steal (a card)
- Defined as:Blinding Effect
- Defined as:Requirement
- Defined as:Simultaneously